The Stanford Cancer Institute’s (SCI) mission is to reduce cancer mortality and improve cancer care through comprehensive programs of cancer research, prevention, treatment, education and outreach. To achieve its mission, the leadership and members relentlessly pursue multiple strategic aims which include fostering interdisciplinary basic cancer research, translating scientific discovery into clinical research and optimal patient care, developing improved approaches to the prevention, early detection, precise diagnosis and effective treatment of cancer, and improving the cancer patient experience by using research to develop and validate innovative initiatives in patient-centered care.
In keeping with its core mission, the SCI offers Innovation Awards to support projects focused on the acceleration of basic, translational, clinical and population-based cancer research, and projects focused on specific types of cancer, such as pancreatic, breast and gynecologic cancers.
- Stanford Cancer Institute Nodal Grant Awards ($50,000)
- Stanford Cancer Institute Innovation Awards ($50,000)
- Single PI
- Multi PI collaboration leading to multi PI peer-reviewed funding
- Stanford Cancer Institute Pancreatic Cancer Innovation Awards ($50,000)
- Stanford Women's Cancer Center Innovation Awards ($100,000)
AWARD CATEGORY DESCRIPTIONS:
Stanford Cancer Institute Nodal Grant Awards (SCI-NGA) - $50,000
The SCI offers a funding mechanism, which aims to catalyze the planning and execution of multi-PI grants from the National Cancer Institute, including R01s, P01s and SPOREs. The funds are intended to be used to obtain proof of concept data and support planning activities.
Stanford Cancer Institute Cancer Innovation Award (SCI-IA) - $50,000
The SCI offers awards to support projects focused on the acceleration of basic, translational, clinical and population-based cancer research and collaborations leading to multi PI peer-reviewed funding.
Stanford Cancer Institute Pancreatic Cancer Innovation Award (SCI-PCIA) - $50,000
The SCI offers awards leading to a greater understanding of pancreatic cancer, with the ultimate goal of improving the prevention or treatment of pancreatic cancer.
Stanford Women’s Cancer Center Innovation Award (SWCC-IA) - $100,000
With support from the fundraising efforts of Under One Umbrella, the SCI and the Stanford Women’s Cancer Center offer awards for research projects related to women’s cancers.
TIMELINE (Anticipated / Exact dates TBD)
RFA Announced: September 16, 2019
Proposal submission deadline: November 1, 2019
Notification of Selection: January 2020
Funding Period: March 1, 2020 – February 28, 2021
- Bold and creative research projects
- Research related to health disparities
- Multi-disciplinary collaboration, including collaborations involving Stanford faculty beyond the School of Medicine or inter-programmatic collaborations across the eight SCI research programs
- Potential to lead (or is already leading) to an investigator-initiated clinical trial
- Plans for submission of an external peer reviewed (preferably NCI) application
Faculty members of the SCI or of the Stanford University community with PI Status. If the PI is not a SCI member, the LOI submission must include a letter of support from a sponsoring SCI member, who would also be a project collaborator.
IMPORTANT: If you are interested in submitting more than 1 project, please contact Gayle White at email@example.com prior to proposal submission.
Progress reports will be required at 12 and 24 months after funding begins. Earlier progress reports will be requested if the award recipient is leaving the University. Recipients may be asked to present the results of funded research project at the request of the SCI.
In accordance with University guidelines, funds may be used for:
- PI Salary Support (minimum of 1%, not to exceed 10% of total award)
- Other personnel directly supporting proposed project
- Equipment and supplies